Tonight's Dinner: Shrimp pizza recipe
Shrimp are wonderful over pasta, in salads or even by themselves. But since kids tend to turn their noses up at any and all seafood, why not make them appealing by turning them into a dinner no kid can say no to -- pizza!
Everyone loves pizza. It doesn't matter if it's plain cheese or covered in every kind of meat and vegetable known to man. If all the ingredients are cooked on a thick crust and covered with cheese, it's practically a guarantee that there won't be any leftovers. These days pizza has become so popular that a lot of people pick one night a week to have pizza for dinner. You could take the easy (and more expensive) route and order it from the local pizza joint. You could buy the frozen version from the grocery store or you could even make your own at home. While the last option is the most time consuming, it's also the most fun because everyone can pick and choose their toppings. And by creating it in the comfort of your own kitchen, you know it's going to be healthier because you know what's going into this deep dish pie.
While my first choice for pizza toppings are pepperoni, mushrooms and lots and lots of cheese, on occasion I like to mix things up. Sometimes I'll do a white sauce while other times I'll cover the dough with tons of vegetables. Last week, I took the advice from Parents magazine and decided to use a topping I'd never considered before -- shrimp. I love shrimp any way you serve it, but adding some to a pizza would guarantee my son would eat them as well. And guess what? He did.
- 1 package store-bought pizza dough
- 1 (8 ounce) container tomato pizza sauce
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 dozen cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup Italian-blend shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Roll out the pizza dough onto an oiled cookie sheet. Spread the pizza sauce over the dough. Top with shrimp and tomatoes. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and sprinkle with the cheese. Return the pizza to the oven and bake for another five minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into slices and serve immediately.