Tonight's Dinner: Mushroom ravioli in a mushroom cream sauce recipe
Ravioli is a favorite among adults and kids alike. But instead of the standard meat or cheese-filled pasta pillows, why not try a veggie-filled version covered in a veggie flavored sauce? Adults will love it and kids will be begging for more.
A couple of weeks ago, I was doing some shopping at Trader Joe's. If you've ever visited a Trader Joe's, you know there's always someone toward the back of the shop handing out samples of their latest and greatest dishes or drinks. This time was no different. The sample they were handing out was a mushroom, asparagus and spinach tortellini. It was delicious and when I asked for the recipe, the woman was kind enough to point to the pre-made dinner that only needed to be cooked in the microwave for three minutes. It wasn't what I had in mind, but it made me realize I could easily make my own version at home. While it did take longer than three minutes for me to get dinner on the table, my version was healthier and still super easy to make.
Mushroom ravioli in a mushroom cream sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package mushroom ravioli
- 3 baby portabella mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 ounces asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups baby spinach
- Cook the ravioli according to package directions; drain, return to pan and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the quarter cup of butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for two minutes.
- Stir in the cream and cook, stirring occasionally, for about five minutes. Whisk in the cheese and cook for another two minutes until heated through and slightly thickened.
- In a medium skillet, melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Add the asparagus and sauté for three to five minutes or until just tender. Add the spinach and cook for one more minute or until spinach starts to wilt.
- Add the asparagus and spinach to the ravioli. Pour the mushroom Alfredo sauce over everything and toss to combine. Serve immediately.