Hearty and even better the next day, chili is the perfect thing to serve at your Super Bowl party. Try this healthier version with lean ground turkey breast that gets layers of flavor from dark beer, cinnamon and other spices simmered together for just 20 minutes.
Packed with fiber and protein, turkey chili is sure to keep everyone energized and ready to root for their favorite team come Super Bowl Sunday.
Set up a chili bar and let everyone help themselves to a range of appetizing toppings like shredded cheese, sour cream, sliced jalapeno peppers, chives and whatever else strikes your fancy. Or, for something even more casual and fun, use the chili to top cheesy nachos that will knock your guests’ socks off.
Turkey chili recipe
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 cup dark beer like Leffe Brown
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream, chopped chives, cilantro, shredded cheese for toppings
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add the chili powder, hot paprika, coriander, oregano and cinnamon; stir and allow to cook until aromatic, one minute.
- Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until lightly browned.
- Pour in the beer and allow to cook down slightly.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, tomato paste and spicy paste or hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Allow to simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Top with sour cream, chopped chives, cilantro and/or shredded cheese.