Full of good fats (yes, there is such a thing!) and vitamins, avocados are a healthy — and delicious — addition to your diet. What better way to enjoy them than in a tangy, creamy guacamole? This guacamole recipe comes together quickly and is sure to be a crowd pleaser at your Super Bowl party.
If you’re looking for a no-fail, crowd pleasing dip to serve at your Super Bowl party, consider classic guacamole. This addictive dip is made with mashed, ripe avocados, onion, garlic, cilantro and lime juice, and served with crispy tortilla chips. Easy and fresh tasting, this version of guacamole is zesty and garlicky for extra punch.
Game day tip: Avocados, and in turn guacamole, start to brown as soon as they are exposed to air. To keep your guac vibrant, leave an avocado pit in the middle. According to popular belief, this helps slow down the oxidation process, making your dip stay greener longer.
Yields: 2 cups
- 5 small Hass avocados
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Peel, pit and chop the avocados and put them in a large bowl with the garlic.
- Mash with a potato masher, mortar and pestle or fork until desired consistency is reached.
- Add the onion, cilantro and lime juice and season with salt. Stir to combine.
- Taste and season as needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and insert an avocado pit into the middle to help prevent browning.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Watch: How to cut an avocado
Successful avocado slicing depends on not following the banana model of peel first, and then slice. Avocados are best sliced with the skin still on.