English muffin pizza recipe
Tensions can run high on Super Bowl Sunday as everyone roots for their favorite team. Give them one less thing to argue about with these personalized mini pizzas on English muffins.
Warm and crispy with a zesty sauce and everyone's favorite toppings, these English muffin pizzas will score you a culinary touchdown and may just be the highlight of the party... at least for the team who loses.
Having pizza on game day is an American tradition -- so much so that the NFL's official pizza, Papa John's, sold more than 900,000 pizzas on Super Bowl Sunday in 2010. That's a lot of pizza!
Instead of ordering out this Super Bowl Sunday, try these delicious mini pizzas. Simply gather everyone's favorite toppings, have each person dress their own pizza, and then pop them in the broiler. They're ready in minutes!
- 2 (6 muffin) packages English muffins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 recipe quick marinara (recipe below)
- 1 (8 ounce) bag mozzarella, shredded
- Everyone's favorite pizza toppings
- Set the oven on broil.
- Slice the English muffins in half and lightly brush from edge to edge with olive oil.
- Lightly pre-toast the English muffins on top and bottom about 30 to 45 seconds (just enough to keep the sauce from soaking into the muffins… they'll finish cooking later).
- Spread a small amount of sauce(1 or 2 teaspoons) onto each English muffin half, leaving a little room at the edges to serve as the "crust."
- Top with mozzarella.
- Place toppings as desired. Don't overdo it, as the toppings may fall off. Make sure each item is touching at least some cheese so it will stick.
- Sprinkle a small amount of mozzarella over each mini pizza (to help the toppings stay on).
- Place on a pizza pan or cookie sheet and broil until the edges are crispy and brown and the cheese is melted.
To make barbecue chicken pizza, substitute barbecue sauce for the quick marinara and top with cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese and slices of grilled chicken.
Quick marinara recipe
This five-minute marinara is great for pizza, cheese sticks and more!
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (no salt added)
- 3 tablespoons onion, diced small
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pinch dried rosemary (optional)
- Crushed red pepper to taste (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil to medium heat and sauté onions (it will seem like a lot of oil, but you need extra for the sauce).
- Add tomato sauce.
- Stir in seasonings, and continue to stir until heated through.