Tired of typical football food? Give the chicken wings and meatballs a rest. With a few easy changes, you can make your game day fare exciting again – and maybe even a little healthier! Try these three simple twists on the usual game day recipes to add a little variety to your football Sunday.
Fast fruit dip
Try this alternative to the old chips-and-dip combo. Bonus: This dip sneaks fruit, which is often left out of football fare, into your game day party.
Serving size 8 to 10
- 1 (12 ounce) container of sour cream
- 1 box of vanilla-flavored pudding powder
- A variety of fresh fruit to dip (strawberries, raspberries and blueberries work well)
- Stir the pudding powder into the sour cream until they are thoroughly combined.
- Serve with a platter of fruit.
Hint: Since the fruit is much smaller than a typical chip, set out a box of toothpicks to keep sticky fingers out of the dip.
More fruit dip recipes
Instead of the typical tomato-and-onion-based salsa, try this simple twist on the classic game day recipe. Mix things up by serving your salsa with blue corn chips instead of the standard yellow. Use genuine Mexican ingredients to keep things spicy!
Serving size 6
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste. It’s that easy!
More salsa recipes
Instead of a seven-layer or bean dip, try this simple microwavable dip. For variety, you can add garnishes like shredded lettuce, diced tomato, sliced black olives or diced green onion.
Serving size 6
- 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 (15 ounce) can of chili (or make your own)
- 1 (8 ounce) package of shredded cheese
- Spread the cream cheese in a thick layer across the bottom of a microwave-safe dish.
- Pour the can of chili on top of the cream cheese. Spread it with a spatula to get an even coating.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Microwave on high for one minute. Then, continue to microwave the dip in 30-second intervals. This dip can go from hot to burnt very quickly, so check it after each 30-second interval.
- Garnish however you would like and serve with thick, crispy chips.
More dip recipes
Watch: How to cut a mango
Mangos are irresistibly exotic and lusciously juicy; mangos also have that enormous pit that sometimes makes them seem more trouble than they’re worth. Tame this tropical teaser with a few well-placed cuts.