If your New Year’s resolutions included healthier eating, this high-fiber, low-fat dish will fill you up quickly and keep you fuller longer. Featuring brown rice, ground turkey and mushrooms, all you’ll need to complete this savory meal is a fresh, green salad.
Savory ground turkey & mushroom rice recipe
Serves 4 to 6
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt, divided
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups instant brown rice (unprepared)
- 1 (10-1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups vegetable stock
- 8 – 10 button or baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Season the raw ground turkey by mixing in Worcestershire sauce, 1/8 teaspoon of celery salt and 15 grinds of pepper.
- In a large skillet (cast-iron is best), sauté the mushrooms in cooking spray on medium heat until well browned on both sides.
- Add onions and five grinds of pepper, continuing to sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic and continue to sauté for 90 seconds.
- Stir in seasoned ground turkey, turn the heat to high and cook until well browned, making sure the turkey is broken into small pieces.
- While turkey is browning, mix the unprepared rice, condensed mushroom soup, remaining celery salt, onion soup mix and 15 grinds of pepper in a large, microwave-safe bowl.
- Slowly stir in vegetable stock until somewhat soupy and microwave on high for nine to 12 minutes or until rice is tender. (Note: The final mixture will still be somewhat soupy. Don’t over-microwave it, as you’ll need extra sauce to coat the turkey mixture.)
- Mix the turkey mixture with rice mixture and serve.