Tonight's Dinner: Chicken and couscous recipe
Chicken can be a great dish any day of the week, but some chicken recipes can take hours to prepare. They may be delicious, but there are those days you just don't have the time. Well, don't fret. Here's a chicken dish that can be prepared and on the table in just five minutes.
There's nothing I love more than easy dinner recipes. Sure there are those days when I love to take my time and make something that will take an hour or two or more and turn into an awesome feast. But more often than not, I have less than an hour to prepare and get dinner on the table. Those are the times I look for recipes that are not only tasty but super quick and easy. Thankfully Michael Symon has come to my rescue.
On his show The Chew, Symon does a segment called Michael's Five in Five. He takes five ingredients and gets it on the table in five minutes. Recently he made a chicken, sausage and couscous dish that looked so amazing I knew I had to give it a try. It was just as delicious as it looked and it really did take only five minutes to get on the table.
Chicken and couscous
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup couscous
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Boil water and butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the butter is melted, stir in the couscous. Cover the pan, turn off the heat and let couscous sit.
- Meanwhile pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/2-inch thickness. Sprinkle breasts with salt and pepper to taste and cut each breast in half horizontally.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink, two to three minutes per side.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Pour the tomatoes with their juice over the chicken. Add the onions and garlic and let simmer.
- While the chicken mixture cooks, fluff the couscous with a fork. Stir in the parsley, remaining olive oil and vinegar. Transfer the couscous to a serving platter. Spoon the chicken and tomato mixture on top of the couscous and serve immediately.