Bread pudding is a genius hybrid of stuffing and creamy custard. You may be more familiar with the sweet dessert version, but its savory cousin has been joining dinner tables as the new comfort side dish.
Savory bread pudding recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 celery ribs, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 6 cups sourdough bread cubes, 1/2-inch pieces, crust removed (about 2 loaves)
- 2 cups turkey or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart baking dish with butter; set aside. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, salt and pepper; cook, stirring until onions are soft, about four minutes. Remove from heat; stir in garlic, thyme and remaining olive oil; set aside. In a large heat-resistant bowl add bread cubes. Pour hot oil mixture over bread; toss to coat.
- Transfer bread cubes to a baking sheet. Place baking sheet in oven; bake 15 minutes or until bread is toasted. Remove from oven; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, butter and eggs; stir in cream. Transfer bread to prepared baking dish. Pour broth mixture over bread, gently pressing bread into mixture until moist. Place baking dish in oven, bake 25 minutes or until top is golden and crisp. Remove from oven; let stand five minutes before serving.