Red velvet cake is a classic dessert. However, sometimes a classic needs a little change. When it’s cold outside, this hot chocolate recipe will warm you up and keep that fun red velvet look!
Red velvet cake is synonymous with delicious. It’s a classic Southern treat that has hit it big in bakeries all across the nation. However, don’t be scared to think outside the box when you want this sweet treat.
A fun way to switch things up is by taking the idea of this traditional cake and turning it into a delicious hot chocolate recipe. Its bright color and delicious chocolate taste will tickle both children and adults with delight. Plus, it’s a few less calories than devouring a whole cake.
Red velvet hot chocolate
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 teaspoon red gel no taste food coloring
- Whipping cream
- Vanilla sugar
Vanilla sugar whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar (no vanilla sugar? Add regular sugar and a drop of vanilla extract)
- For whipped cream: Add heavy cream and vanilla sugar to a cold metal bowl. Either whip by hand with whisk or with hand-held mixer until soft peaks form.
- For hot chocolate: In a small pan, combine milk, chocolate morsels and food coloring. Gently simmer until hot and all the chocolate is melted. I like to use a small whisk to make sure everything is incorporated. Top with freshly whipped cream.