Chicken Parmesan is that classic chicken dish that’s smothered in mozzarella and marinara sauce and screams Italy. But when a single serving of chicken just isn’t enough, try turning that savory Italian dinner into a casserole.
I love chicken Parmesan. There’s just something about the breaded chicken cutlets smothered in mozzarella and marinara sauce that gets me excited. I’m such a huge fan of this entrée that it’s always my first choice when the family eats out at an Italian restaurant. But there are those times that one piece of breaded chicken just isn’t enough. Every so often I want seconds, but since I’m not going to order a second helping of chicken Parm, I’m forced to order dessert instead, which really isn’t that big a compromise.
If you’re like me and usually desire a second helping of chicken Parmesan, then this baked version from Real Simple is for you. It’s the same delicious chicken, but instead of just one cutlet, it’s several nestled in a blanket of marinara sauce and covered with fresh mozzarella. It’s the platinum version of chicken Parmesan and I just couldn’t get enough.
Baked chicken Parmesan
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 chicken cutlets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. In a third bowl combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Coat each cutlet with the flour, then dip in the eggs, and finally coat with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing gently to help it adhere.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. In batches, cook the chicken until golden brown, two to three minutes per side; transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Pour the marinara sauce in a 2-3-quart baking dish. Nestle the chicken in the sauce and top with the mozzarella. Bake until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
More Tonight’s Dinner recipes >>
Other chicken Parmesan recipes
Chicken Parmesan with pepperoni
Quick chicken Parmesan
Succulent chicken Parmesan
Leave a Comment