For me, no Christmas morning is complete without a hearty breakfast casserole. Each year, my aunt makes her old fashioned recipe with eggs, cheese and a ton of pork sausage.
Each decadent bite gives us the stamina we need to plow through the rest of our vigorous present opening. To add some sweetness to this savory casserole, I garnished the top with bits of candied bacon.
Not only is this breakfast casserole recipe delicious, it’s easy and can be made up to two days in advance. Just prepare the casserole, chill overnight for up to two days, and then bake. With all the stress that comes with the holidays, there’s nothing quite like a two step breakfast on Christmas morning.
Christmas morning breakfast casserole
Serves about 8
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- 8 slices white bread, cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- Grease a casserole dish with butter.
- In a medium pan, cook sausage and mushrooms, crumbling sausage with your spatula while you mix. Cook until browned, about eight minutes.
- Line the bottom of the casserole dish with cubed bread. Pour sausage over the bread.
- Beat eggs and half and half together. Pour egg mixture over the sausage. Spread cheddar cheese over egg mixture; cover casserole and chill overnight.
- Once chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake casserole for 15 minutes.
- While casserole cooks, prepare bacon by cooking in a medium pan over medium heat until crispy, about eight minutes. Drain and blot with a paper towel. In a bowl, combine bacon, maple syrup and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Once casserole has baked for 15 minutes, sprinkle bacon on top and bake an additional five minutes. Let cool and enjoy!
More breakfast recipes
Vegan breakfast recipes
Quick and healthy breakfast fruit recipes
Low carb breakfast recipes
Leave a Comment