A savory strata with layers of cubed brioche bread, browned and crumbled sausage, caramelized onion and cheddar baked in an egg custard is the perfect way to feed a hungry holiday crowd with little effort. The entire dish can be made up to two days before the brunch and set aside, covered in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
Savory breakfast strata recipe
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 2 cups crumbled breakfast sausage
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 6 cups cubed brioche bread
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and salt until well beaten. Stir in butter and cream; set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion, bell pepper and sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage has browned, about seven minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Butter a deep (9-inch) baking dish. Place 1/3 of the bread cubes in the bottom of the dish. Top bread with 1/2 of the sausage mixture; sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese over the sausage. Repeat, ending with a layer of bread.
- Slowly pour egg mixture over bread cubes, gently pressing bread, allowing it to soak up the egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to two days before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove strata from refrigerator; place baking dish on a sheet pan. Place sheet pan in oven. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until custard is set. Remove pan from oven; let stand five minutes before serving.