Not sure what to make for Christmas Day? How about a reservation. If you’re thinking about dining out on Christmas Day, you’re not alone. About 8 percent of Americans plan to visit a restaurant on Christmas Day, according to the National Restaurant Association.
Whether there are two of you or a whole crew, we’ve got ideas for dining out on Christmas Day.
Chinese restaurants are a reliable choice, but many other ethnic spots stay open. For something different, why not bring the family to your favorite sushi place or Indian restaurant to share a bunch of dishes?
For more traditional fare, make reservations at restaurants at upscale resorts and hotels, many of which offer buffets or special menus.
A quick way to tell what’s open in your city on Christmas Day is to search opentable.com, the instant restaurant reservation site.
Here’s a sampling of restaurants with nationwide locations that are open on Christmas Day:
- Buca di Beppo: This festive Italian restaurant easily accommodates large, hungry groups. Family-style service means you’ll trade hearty plates of spaghetti and chicken marsala across the table.
- Champps: Select locations of this sports bar chain are open in the afternoon and evening. Watch Chicago take on Green Bay — the lone NFL game being played on Christmas Day — in the company of beers and bar food.
- The Chart House: Known across the country for its scenic views and waterfront settings, this upscale restaurant chain offers fresh fish and seafood entrees.
- IHOP: This breakfast chain is at the ready with pancakes, waffles and French toast. If you’re cooking dinner, why not let someone else take care of breakfast?
- McCormick & Schmick’s: Pick from an ever changing list of fresh catches, from Costa Rica mahi mahi to Massachusetts scallops, and splurge on indulgent sides like lobster mashed potatoes and andouille mac and cheese.
- Ruth’s Chris: A couple or small group can indulge in a fancy cut of meat and top-notch wine at this steak house. Ruth’s Chris also offers old-school staples like the wedge salad, au gratin potatoes and creamed spinach.
- Starbucks: After finding out what Santa has left in your stocking, make a Starbucks run for coffee and breakfast pastries. Many locations are open with scaled-down hours.