Single-serve mugs of creamy hot cocoa are just seconds away when they’re made to order in the microwave. With the addition of holiday-flavored extracts like peppermint and vanilla, a seemingly simple holiday drink becomes the ultimate treat.
Gourmet hot cocoa recipe
- 3/4 cup whole or skim milk
- 1 tablespoon Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint, orange or almond extract (optional)
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Homemade marshmallows (optional)
- In a microwave-safe mug, combine milk, cocoa, sugar and extracts. Place mug in microwave and heat on high 60 seconds.
- Stir and microwave 30 seconds more or until mixture is hot. Remove mug from microwave; let stand 30 seconds. If desired, serve with cinnamon and homemade marshmallows.