3 Low-fat holiday appetizer recipes
Just like the early spring brings waves of wedding announcements, the beginning of December brings endless holiday party invitations. The trend this year is all about skipping the four course dinner party and hosting smaller cocktail hours with heavy hors d'oeuvres instead. However, don't think the lack of entree means healthier fare. Many appetizers contain as much as fat and calories as a hamburger, with all the trimmings! To avoid the holiday five pound weight gain and still enjoy your neighbor's appetizer soiree, offer to bring one of these delicious, healthy apps. They taste so good no one will know they're low-fat!
These delicious appetizer recipes will quickly wow your friends, family and colleagues. Plus, with each serving weighing in at just shy of 100 calories, you'll stay svelte and dashing in your sequin party dress.
Pepper vodka soaked caprese skewers
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pepper vodka
- About 3 ounces fresh mozzarella, chopped into chunks
- 6 basil leaves, halved
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, for dipping
- 1 tablespoon sea salt for dipping
- Using a skewer, poke a few holes into each tomato and place in a bowl. Pour vodka over tomatoes and let sit for at least two hours.
- Once tomatoes are done, remove from vodka. Place one tomato on the skewer, followed by one chunk of cheese and 1/2 basil leaf. Repeat until skewer is filled. Continue pattern until all 12 are prepared.
- Serve with olive oil and sea salt for dipping and enjoy!
Low-fat cream cheese ball
- 16 ounces Neufchatel (or low-fat cream cheese)
- 2 cups part skim cheddar cheese
- 6 large pitted green olives, chopped
- 3 basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Carrots, crackers and celery for dipping
- Mix cheese, olives, basil, Italian seasoning and lemon juice together. Form a ball with the cheese and roll in the nuts to completely cover the outside.
- Place in foil and refrigerate overnight, or for at least four hours.
- Once cheese ball has chilled, serve with chopped vegetables or crackers and enjoy!
Skinny deviled eggs
- 6 eggs
- 1/3-1/2 cup low-fat Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh basil as garnish
- Place eggs in a large pot and cover with water. Bring water and eggs to a boil (about four minutes) and immediately remove from heat. Cover pan and let eggs sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove shells from eggs. Cut each hard-boiled egg in half and scoop out the yolks; place in a medium bowl.
- Mix egg yolks, salt, pepper and Greek yogurt together. If mixture is too dry, add additional Greek yogurt. Using a spoon, scoop yolk mixture into each egg. Sprinkle with paprika and garnish with fresh basil leaf. Enjoy!
Staying skinny and eating deliciously over the holidays was never so easy!