Fried green tomatoes may make a delicious snack, but add them to a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich and you have a sandwich that’s out of this world.
Bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches are a delicious treat any day of the week. They’re actually one of my favorite choices when I’m craving something especially evil. But recently I saw a BLT that used fried green tomatoes instead of your basic red, ripe variety and I knew I just had to try it. Oh. My. God. My favorite sandwich went from awesome to out-of-this-world amazing. The deep fried tomato not only added a savory crunch but also a tang only found in green tomatoes. So the next time you’re dying for a BLT, switch it up and use fried green tomatoes instead.
Fried green tomato BLT
- 2 large green tomatoes
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 8 slices bacon
- 8 slices thick French bread
- 4 leaves butter lettuce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- For the tomatoes: Slice the tomatoes into 1/2-inch thick rings. Discard the ends.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Place the flour on one plate and the cornmeal, bread crumbs, salt and pepper on another plate.
- Dip each tomato slice into the flour to coat. Then dip into the milk mixture and finally dredge in the cornmeal mixture until completely coated.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place four or five tomato slices in the pan and cook until browned on one side, flip and brown the other side. Transfer the cooked tomatoes to a paper towel to drain and repeat with the rest of the tomatoes until all the tomatoes have been cooked.
- For the sandwiches: While frying up the tomatoes, cook the bacon until crisp, about four minutes per side.
- Spread the mayonnaise on four slices of bread. Lay one piece of lettuce on each slice of bread. Place two fried tomato slices on top of the lettuce and two pieces of bacon on top of the tomatoes. Lay the final piece of bread on top, slice the sandwich in half and serve.
Other BLT recipes
BLT English muffins
Mini BLT tarts