Hearty beef stew
As the temperatures start to drop, everyone begins their winter ritual of retreating inside and hibernating until March. I'm a firm believer in staying in pajamas all day when the temperatures barely reach freezing, paying someone else to shovel and snowplow while indulging in endless bowls of soul warming stew. There's nothing like a hearty bowl of stew on a cold winter day, especially if it's been simmering in a crock pot all day. Not only does it taste amazing and fill your home with savory scents, this one-pot meal is a time and life saver, especially during the busy holiday season.
Chunks of perfectly cooked beef, soft baked potatoes, organic pinot noir, bright orange carrots, caramelized onions, Italian stewed tomatoes and zesty basil make this beef stew recipe anything but ordinary. Serve with a crusty, buttered piece of French bread for dipping and enjoy every last mouth-watering spoonful!
Hearty beef stew
Yields: About 6 (1 cup) servings
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 2 large potatoes, quartered
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian seasoned stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 cup organic pinot noir (can use any dry red wine)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. One by one, bread beef stew meat in flour and place in oil. Cook until meat is browned, about three to four minutes on each side. Once browned, place meat in a crock pot.
- In remaining oil, place onions and cook until softened, about three minutes. Add garlic, stewed tomatoes, beef broth and salt and pepper; bring to a boil and then immediately remove from heat. Pour over beef in crock pot.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes, bay leaf, wine and basil. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-1/2 hours or on high heat for four hours. Garnish with extra basil and salt and pepper to taste!
An easy, delicious meal that everyone will enjoy!