Tonight's Dinner: Chicken hummus pitas
Hummus and pita bread are often brought out for appetizers before the main event. But if you smear it inside the pocket and add some chopped chicken and your favorite veggies, you get a light and healthy meal that's ready in no time flat.
An easy appetizer or lunch choice is warm pita bread dipped in hummus, but sometimes pita and hummus just aren't filling enough. It's during these times that I like to add a protein and my favorite fresh veggies -- things like tomatoes or cucumbers. Sometimes I even add a little cheese. So when grilled chicken and hummus were suggested to me, I knew I wouldn't be the only one to love it. My picky son and husband would too. And I was right. The combination of hummus, chicken, cucumbers and tomatoes was absolutely delectable and so easy. It's going to become a regular on the Richmond dinner menu.
Chicken hummus pita
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large pita bread rounds
- 1 (7 ounce) container of hummus
- 3/4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup cucumber, thinly sliced
- Heat a grill to 450 degrees F. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Grill until no longer pink, about six minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and cut into strips.
- To serve, cut the pita rounds in half crosswise. Spread hummus inside pita pockets then fill with cooked chicken, tomatoes and cucumbers, and serve.