Classic pumpkin pie with maple whipped cream
Pumpkin pie is a quintessential Thanksgiving dessert that can be made simply with a few ingredients or elaborately prepared with flavorful additions and fancy crusts. We like to make our pumpkin pies somewhere in the middle of the pumpkin pie spectrum – not too plain and not too fancy. Here is a classic pumpkin pie recipe topped with a sweet maple whipped cream.
Classic pumpkin pie with pecan crust recipe
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, coarsely ground
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sour cream, divided
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ice water
- 1 (15 ounce) can pure pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- To make the crust, combine flour, pecans and salt in a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add butter and shortening and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add three tablespoons sour cream and one tablespoon water, and process just until a ball of dough begins to form. If dough seems dry, add remaining one tablespoon water.
- Dump dough onto a lightly floured surface and gather mixture together to form a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by placing pumpkin, eggs, molasses, sugar, spices, remaining one cup sour cream and 1/2 cup cream in the bowl of a standup mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Blend on medium speed until ingredients are well-combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place pie dough on a large sheet of plastic wrap and cover with a second large sheet of plastic wrap. Use a rolling pin to roll pie dough into a 12-inch circle. Remove the top sheet of plastic and pick the bottom sheet of plastic up and use to invert pie dough onto a 9-inch pie plate. Trim dough, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Crimp edges.
- Pour pie filling into dough and brush edges of dough with the two tablespoons of cream. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 45 minutes or until filling is just set and crust is lightly browned. Place strips of foil or a pie crust protector over crust if it browns too quickly.
- Turn oven off and let pie sit in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Serve with maple whipped cream (recipe below).
Maple whipped cream recipe
Makes 2 cups
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons extra-fine granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine cream, sugar and maple syrup. Use an electric mixer to whip cream until medium-firm peaks form. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.