Forget Aunt Mildred’s boring old dry stuffing, and start a new holiday tradition of your own with this tasty twist on an old classic.
Italian Sausage Stuffing
Recipe adapted from Johnsonville®
- 1 pkg. Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage (Ground or de-cased links)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, separated
- 2 loaves focaccia bread (12 oz. each), cut into 1-in. cubes
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse ground pepper
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 6 large leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups water or white wine
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- In a skillet, cook and crumble sausage in 1 tbsp olive oil until cooked through. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix bread cubes and the remaining oil. Sprinkle with pepper; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350?F for 10 minutes or until crisp and a lightly browned, stirring once. Remove pan to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- In a very large bowl, stir the bread cubes, reserved sausage, Parmesan cheese, green pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, basil and garlic.
- Combine eggs and water; pour over bread mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to a buttered 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Dot with butter and bake, uncovered, at 350?F for 35-40 minutes or until hot.