Tonight's Dinner: Tortellini casserole
Your favorite tortellini and vegetables come together to make a very tasty dinner dish.
While pasta with Alfredo sauce poured over it is a quick and easy dinner any night of the week, why not spice things up by baking it in a casserole dish with your favorite vegetable? What's really great about this casserole is unlike most baked pastas, you don't even need to cook the tortellini before it goes into the casserole dish. That's right, you can skip the boiling step and just throw it in uncooked with the raw vegetables. Everything cooks together in the oven allowing the flavors to really mix for what could be the perfect baked pasta.
- 1 (15 ounce) jar of Alfredo sauce or make your own
- 1 cup water
- Dash of pepper
- 1 (20 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 broccoli crowns, chopped
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Alfredo sauce, water and pepper. Pour one cup of the Alfredo mixture into a three quart baking dish. Arrange half the uncooked tortellini in a layer over the sauce. Sprinkle half the broccoli on top. Pour the rest of the sauce over the pasta and vegetable layer, and then repeat the layers with the rest of the tortellini and broccoli. Bake for 45 minutes.
- While the casserole cooks, combine the bread crumbs and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and sprinkle with the bread crumb mixture. Heat the broiler. Broil the casserole a few inches from the heat for one to two minutes or until golden. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.