Who knew roasting grapes would add the perfect sweet kick to a nice roasted chicken dinner?
This month’s issue of Real Simple was dedicated to a month of dinner recipes, and while I wasn’t interested in all 30 ideas, there were a few that I thought were worth sampling. This chicken recipe with grapes was just one example. What I loved about it was the roasting of the grapes, something I never would have considered, but am oh so happy I tried. The grapes caramelize and give a wonderful flavor when ladled over the chicken and rice.
I don’t know why I was so surprised by this. I mean, I’ve added roasted apricots to a chicken tagine and stuffed pork chops with apples, so why should I be surprised that roasting grapes would be another wonderful complement to chicken. They really do add the perfect amount of sweetness to an otherwise savory dish. What makes this simple chicken recipe even better is that it takes absolutely no time to make. I think from start to finish, it took about 30 minutes. So whether you like apricots, apples, grapes or plums, the next time you’re looking for something sweet and healthy to round out that savory dish, try some fruit. You won’t be disappointed — I know I never am.
Chicken with wild rice and grapes
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups red seedless grapes
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Cook the rice according to the package directions and set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken on one side until golden, about five minutes; then transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and roast for another 15 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
- Add the grapes and thyme to the drippings in the skillet and cook, tossing occasionally until the grapes begin to burst, about six minutes. Ladle the grapes over the chicken and serve with the wild rice.
Other Chicken Recipes from sheKnows
57 Sauce chicken
Apricot Dijon chicken
Chicken and wild rice soup