Cocktails for Halloween
Cocktails aren't willing to get left out of the costume party fun. These festive Halloween-inspired martinis are dressed up and ready to party. Enjoy them in lieu of candy this year.
Gone are the days of trick or treating, which leaves many of us feeling a bit down when Halloween comes around. As much fun as hoarding a huge bag of our Halloween candy loot was, there has to be an alternative more suited for the over 21 crowd. Out with the candy and in with the cocktails! Serve these festive and slightly spooky cocktails at your Halloween bash and no one will even miss the candy!
Candy corn martini
Regardless of how you feel about candy corn, it is a candy classic. It's been around forever and doesn't seem to be declining in popularity. Halloween wouldn't be complete without it, so drink up.
- 1 part grenadine
- 1 part orange juice
- 1 part orange vodka
- 2 parts coconut liqueur (must be creamy, mix with cream if using clear liqueur)
- Mix orange juice and orange vodka in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Pour grenadine in the bottom of a martini glass. Using a spoon, carefully pour orange mixture over the back side (rounded part) of a spoon so it slides down the side of the glass. Repeat with the coconut cream liqueur.
- The result should be three layers that resemble a piece of candy corn.
Zombie Eye Martini
For those that prefer the grotesque side of All Hallows' Eve, nothing is better than a drink with eyeballs in it. This frightening version of a dirty martini will suit the more sophisticated ghosts and vampires.
- 2 radishes
- 2 green olives
- 3 parts vodka
- 1 part olive juice
- Cut a hole in the radishes that is big enough for the olives. Slide the olives into the hole. Using a fork, scrape the side of the radishes to remove part of the red exterior. This will create a blood shot look.
- Place them on a skewer and lay in a martini glass. Top with chilled vodka and olive juice.
Dead Man's Grave
If a trip to the actual graveyard on Halloween absolutely terrifies you, this cocktail is for you. There are no creepy noises or mysteriously cracked headstones — just chocolate and gummy worms.
- 2 parts crème de cocoa
- 2 parts vanilla vodka
- 1 part crème de menthe
- 1 part cream
- Oreo cookie crumbs for garnish
- Gummy worms for garnish
- Add vodka, crème de cocoa, crème de menthe and cream to a cocktail shaker with ice. Dip the rim of a martini glass in vodka and then in the Oreo cookie crumbs. Pour the drink mixture into the glass. Garnish with gummy worms.
In case you aren't ready to drink actual bugs and slime, this version is for a novice goblin. It is sweet and refreshing, but its green color and the sprinkling of gummy bugs will ease you right into true goblin-hood. Enjoy it with your favorite ghouls and witches.
- 1 part Midori liqueur
- 2 parts raspberry vodka
- 2 parts soda water
- Gummy bugs for garnish
- Add chilled soda water to a martini glass. Combine Midori and vodka in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake together. Pour over the soda water. Garnish with gummy bugs.