How did Sundays go from a day when you share a special meal with family and friends, to a day to squeeze in last minute errands and chores? Whether you’re interested in bringing back a traditional, Sunday sit-down dinner with your loved ones or just looking for new meal options, the Sunday Dinner main dish recipe can help you bring it all together.
This time of year, when the weather is beginning to cool down, there’s nothing quite like a bowl of warm soup to provide comfort. While soup is a great addition to a meal, this Sunday Dinner specialty, Mexican chorizo, lentil and tomato soup, is practically a meal in itself. The chorizo adds a bit of spiciness and the lentils, among other great things, provide the perfect texture.
Lentils are a legume favorite! Eaten around the world, there are many options available for cooking with lentils. Serve this soup with a mixed greens salad and a side of cornbread for a meal to remember.
|Get your kids involved in preparing dinner: Ask for their help setting the table, preparing the meal and even cleaning up. Their involvement will help them recognize the value of pitching in and become more invested in your family dinner ritual.|
Mexican chorizo, lentil and tomato soup
- 1 chorizo link of sausage
- 1 onion
- 1 large can peeled whole tomatoes
- 2 small cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1-1/2 cups green lentils, soaked and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large soup pot, brown the chorizo, garlic and onion over medium heat for eight minutes. Add the ketchup and cook, stirring, for three minutes.
- Add in the red pepper, bay leaves, thyme, cumin, lentils, garlic, broth, water and salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Skim off any extra oil from the top of the soup and discard.
- Adjust the seasoning, ladle into bowls and serve warm.
Add a side dish or dessert to your Sunday dinner
Gluten-free, Parmesan-topped cornbread
Peach and greens salad
Lettuce and endive salad with avocado dressing
White chocolate cherry almond cookies
Carrot apple cake
Leave a Comment