Chicken and vegetables don’t need to be boring. Add a little homemade Alfredo sauce and some tangy lemon juice and those chicken and vegetables become something really special.
I’m a big believer in making my own pasta sauces. As a matter of fact, it’s only when I have no time that I grab a bottle of sauce at the grocery store and pour it over pasta. But there’s one kind of sauce I’ve never created — Alfredo. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s because the idea of a cream and cheese sauce scares me. Maybe it’s because the few times I’ve tried, the cheese didn’t melt properly and turned into a gloppy mess. Whatever the reason, I’ve stayed away.
But this chicken recipe from Better Homes and Gardens made me want to give Alfredo sauce another go. And guess what? It turned out great! I don’t know what I did differently. Maybe it was the freshly shredded Parmesan. Maybe it was that the butter and flour finally combined for a perfectly smooth paste. Who knows? The point is this recipe worked! And with the lemon juice and freshly grated garlic, this Alfredo sauce was so yummy, I want to make it again. But next time I won’t pour it over chicken. Next time it’s going over pasta.
Chicken and lemon-broccoli Alfredo
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in flour until you have a smooth paste. Add cream and simmer for five minutes. Whisk in garlic and cheese until cheese is melted and sauce thickens. Keep over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet and season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken and mushrooms in the skillet for about four minutes, turning the chicken halfway through.
- While the chicken cooks, zest 2 teaspoons of lemon peel and set aside. Slice the lemon. Add the broccoli and lemon slices to the skillet. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Transfer chicken and vegetables to plates. Pour Alfredo sauce into the same skillet and simmer for two minutes. Ladle the sauce over the chicken and broccoli. Sprinkle with lemon zest and serve.
Other Alfredo recipes
Alfredo topped baked potatoes
Green chili chicken Alfredo
Tomato Alfredo with sausage