From the experts at Saveur comes this delectable treat! These cookies are elegant and perfect for parties, holidays or even a special treat during the week.
There are several styles of the magnificent macaroon cookie, including those with coconut, but this gluten-free recipe (be sure to read your ingredient labels to be certain) is the French-style cookie and has a crunchy exterior and a chewy inside. Often, this type of cookie is prepared as two cookies sandwiching buttercream, jams or chocolate filling, but this version is delicious just as it is.
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten free.
Makes about 5 dozen cookies
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside. Process the almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Add 2 cups of the confectioners’ sugar and process for another two minutes. Scrape the bottom and insides of the bowl to loosen the clumped almond mixture, then continue to process until it’s very finely ground, about three minutes more. Sift mixture into a bowl.
- Beat the egg whites using a mixer on medium-low speed until frothy, about two minutes. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until the whites form medium-stiff peaks, about two minutes. Gradually add granulated sugar, whisking constantly until stiff, glossy peaks form, about two minutes more. Stir in vanilla.
- Transfer the whites to a large bowl. Fold in the almond mixture a third time. Transfer to a large pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain pastry tip. Pipe 1-inch rounds about 1/2 inch apart onto baking sheets. Dust with remaining 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar. Set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Bake the cookies until they’re puffed and lightly colored, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside to let cool completely before peeling off parchment.