Gone are the days when the only rule for making an ice cream sundae was the more toppings the better. Swap out the concoction of colorful candies for a more sophisticated sundae bar complete with homemade liqueur.
As a child, any opportunity I had to build my own sundae was a pure treat. Now that I am older, I don’t have any intention to pile on gummi-bears, gum balls or sprinkles but that doesn’t mean I don’t look forward to the chance to create a sundae just the way I like it. Whether you are having a date night for two or are entertaining a crowd, creating an adult sundae bar is a fun way to turn dessert into an activity. In addition, everyone can make their sundae using only the toppings they love. Offer a few different liqueurs, sauces and adult-approved toppings like blueberries, shredded coconut and almonds.
Homemade coffee liqueur is easy to make and tastes great over ice cream. You can switch up the flavor by using flavored coffees. The liqueur can also be used in cocktails — serve it with cream or simply over ice.
Coffee liqueur sundae
- 3/4 cup espresso or strongly brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup vanilla vodka
- 1 pint coconut milk ice cream
- Toppings: Nuts, fresh or frozen fruit, coconut, chocolate chips
- Brew espresso or strongly brewed coffee to your machine’s specifications. Add brewed espresso to a sauce pan with sugar and vanilla and bring to a boil. Stir and be sure the sugar dissolves. Let simmer for a few minutes and remove from heat. Don’t overheat or the espresso may burn.
- When completely cool, add in the vodka and stir to combine.
- Set toppings out in small bowls. Serve ice cream in a martini glass and top with a few spoonfuls of coffee liqueur and any toppings you prefer. Any leftover coffee liqueur can be stored in a glass container.