So, I know what you’re thinking. Zucchini and chocolate don’t really go together. They aren’t like peanut butter and jelly or cranberry juice and vodka, for example. But don’t let that fool you — just because they aren’t often paired doesn’t mean they aren’t a great match.
The amazing thing about these muffins (besides the chocolately flavor and the soft, moist texture) is this simple fact. Had I brought them over and disguised them as regular ol’ chocolate muffins, you’d have NO idea there were nearly two and a half tablespoons of zucchini in every single little muffin. How do I know this? I played that very trick on my husband this weekend. He gobbled up two before I told him my dirty secret. Sure, that was devious, but I know he wouldn’t have touched them if he knew the truth. He gushed about how moist, flavorful and incredibly tasty they were.In addition to duping your husband, these muffins are a surefire way to get your kids to eat their veggies. Two of these low fat, amazingly delicious muffins have over 1/4 cup of zucchini in them! And if that isn’t reason enough to make them, each muffin has less than 100 calories and two grams of fat. This may be pure speculation here, but I have a feeling these muffins may get you “mom, wife and friend of the year.”
Low fat zucchini chocolate muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (you can use just cinnamon too)
- 1/2 cup organic canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
For extra flavor, try these optional add ons!
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin pan or insert muffin cups.
- Add shredded zucchini to a mixing bowl and add in boiling water.
- Mix in remaining ingredients (plus add ons) until just mixed.
- Pour into muffin pan (I made six at a time) and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with a pat of butter or naked and enjoy!
More healthy dessert recipes
Decadent, yet healthy, dessert recipes
Chocolate chip zucchini bars
Leave a Comment