Roasted red peppers are a wonderful way to spice up hummus or a nice light salad. But grind it up into a pesto and you’ve got a wonderful topping for proteins and pasta alike.
I make pesto. A lot. I usually make it when I want a little bit more veg in my meal and I’m tired of the same old tomato or alfredo sauces. I’ve had all different kinds from arugula to pea and they’ve all been wonderful because each has had a slightly different taste. I thought pesto could only be made with green vegetables or herbs because that’s all I’d ever seen. But as I’m always discovering new recipes and ideas, Better Homes and Gardens proved that there is indeed another kind of pesto out there; and there isn’t one spec of green anywhere in it. It’s made from roasted red peppers and cheese. That’s it. And if you’re a roasted pepper fan like I am, then this is absolutely the pesto for you. Even better, it doesn’t need to be saved for your favorite pasta, it’s delicious ladeled over steak or chicken, too. So for your next pesto outting, skip the leafy greens and reach for a jar of roasted peppers instead.
Italian Steak with Roasted Pepper Pesto
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 2 skillet steaks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (12 ounce) jar of roasted red peppers, drained
- In a shallow dish, combine bread crumbs and half the cheese. Beat the egg in another shallow dish.
- Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper. Dip the steaks in the egg and then the crumb mixture, press to adhere. In a 12-inch skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook steaks for about three minutes per side. Transfer steaks to a serving platter and cover to keep warm. Wipe the skillet clean.
- For the pesto, combine the drained peppers and remaining cheese in a food processor. Pulse until nearly smooth. Transfer pepper mixture to hot skillet and heat through. Remove from heat, pour the sauce over the steaks and serve with a nice garlic bread.
>>More Tonight’s Dinner Recipes
Other Steak Recipes from SheKnows
- Amish Poor Man’s Steak
- Caprese Pasta and Steak
- Honey Garlic Chipotle Flank Steak
Leave a Comment