Mozzarella, heirloom tomatoes and fresh basil make a delicious summer salad. But add some chicken and some bread and you’ve got a wonderful dinner in no time.
There’s nothing better than a fresh Caprese salad made with buffalo mozzarella and heirloom tomatoes. And since heirloom tomatoes are at the height of the season right now, I’m having this salad a lot. But since I am eating it so frequently I’m getting kinda bored with it. Thankfully Real Simple provided a nice alternative that allowed me to continue eating one of my favorite salads but with a fresh flavor. They added chicken breast and put it on a nice piece of crusty bread, turning my salad into a savory sandwich. So if you like Caprese salads as much as I do, try adding some chicken, you’ll be happy you did.
Chicken Caprese Sandwich
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices crusty bread
- 3 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, torn
- Split the chicken breasts horizontally and season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and in batches cook the chicken breasts until cooked through, about three minutes per side.
- Once the chicken is done, top each slice of bread with the chicken, two slices of tomato and two slices of mozzarella. Broil the open-faced sandwich until the cheese is melted, about three minutes. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.
>>More Tonight’s Dinner Recipes
Other Sandwich Recipes from SheKnows
- Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Cheese and Banana Tea Sandwiches
- Fast French Dip Sandwiches
Leave a Comment