Chicken breasts on top of Tabbouleh doesn’t sound like something any child would enjoy. But put that chicken breast on a lollipop stick and suddenly you have an entree kids won’t be able to get enough of, especially if they help with the skewering.
I’m a big chicken fan. I don’t care if you fry it, barbecue it, or roast it. If it’s breast, wing, leg, or thigh I’m going to eat it. My two-year-old son on the other hand, not nearly as big a fan. I don’t know what it is, but if it’s isn’t in meatball, sausage, or finger form, my son won’t touch chicken. Thanks to Melissa d’Arabian though, I’ve found a way to get my son to eat chicken breast without grinding it up or breading it. All she did was skewer the breast with a lollipop stick and suddenly my chicken has gone from something boring into a fun, healthy treat that my son can pick up with his hands and munch on. Who knew it’d be this easy to get my son to become a chicken loving little boy. Hmmm… maybe I’ll start skewering all my proteins with lollipop sticks.
Chicken Lollipops over Tabbouleh
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoon olive oil, separated
- juice of 1 lemon, separated
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/4 plain couscous
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut chicken breasts into 6 equal pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine one tablespoon olive oil with three tablespoons lemon juice, barbecue sauce, salt, and pepper. Add chicken and marinate for 15-30 minutes. Bake chicken on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes, turning once at seven minutes. Once cooked, spear each piece with a lollipop stick and set aside.
- Bring water to boil and add in couscous. Stir, cover and remove from heat. Let stand for five minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- In a large bowl, toss couscous with garbanzo beans, parsley, cilantro, tomato, green onion, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl whisk together lemon zest, three tablespoons lemon juice, and three tablespoons olive oil. Drizzle over couscous and toss. Place chicken lollipop on top of tabbouleh and serve.
>>More Tonight’s Dinner Recipes
Other Chicken Recipes from SheKnows
- Caramelized leek and chicken coconut curry
- Catalina chicken
- Chicken bundles
Leave a Comment