For those of you that enjoy turning every future trip to the ocean into a terrifying experience, there is no more celebrated time than Shark Week. Much like Christmas, this event only happens once a year so celebrate big. Your shark celebration should be fish-filled and bloody. To incorporate that theme and ensure your guests don’t throw up, try these festive recipes.
Fish Blood Shot
If you want to celebrate Shark Week the right way, you must do as sharks do. Asking you to sever some poor person’s leg seemed a little extreme, so fish blood it is. Be sure to sneak up on it for the full effect.
- 1 package red jello
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chilled berry flavored vodka
- Gummy Fish
- Bring water to boil and add jello packet. Stir until completely dissolved. Add the chilled vodka and stir to combine. Place the gummy fish in shot glasses and fill with the jello liquid. Place in the refrigerator until the shots are firm.
Leave out the alcohol and just stick with the jello.
Shark Infested Water
At first glance it looks like clear, refreshing water just luring you in for a swim. Little do you know the danger that lurks beneath the surface. In this case it’s tequila and lots of it.
- 2 parts margarita mix
- 2 parts tequila
- 1 part blue curacao
- 1 part triple sec
- Blue sugar
- Gummy fish or gummy sharks
- Garnish a margarita glass with salt, blue sugar, and a gummy fish. Fill the glass with ice. Mix the remaining ingredients in a cocktail shaker or pitcher and pour into the glass.
Skip the alcohol, add margarita mix to lemon-lime soda, then add blue food coloring and stir.
Blood in the Water
Sometimes the only thing left after a shark attack is bright red blood hovering on the surface of the calm water. If you encounter this on your next swim go ahead and panic, there is probably no hope for you.
- 2 parts citrus vodka
- 2 parts club soda
- 1 part fresh grapefruit juice
- A drizzle of grenadine
- Add vodka, soda and grapefruit juice to a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled. Pour into a martini glass and then slowly drizzle grenadine over the top.
Add a splash of grenadine to lemon-lime soda.
Shark Attack Sangria
It’s red, filled with fish bits, and completely horrifying… well this version isn’t so horrifying. But feel free to scream loudly and wave your arms around while you drink it.
- 1 bottle red wine
- 2 cups club soda
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- Gummy Fish
- Mix all the ingredients in a large pitcher and serve over ice.
Leave out the wine and mix the fruit with juice, soda and gummy fish.
A Day at the Beach Cupcake
The sun is shining, the water is warm, and the day is perfect until someone yells “Shark!” Your blissful day at the beach takes a dramatic turn with just one bite. These cupcakes are no different; they look innocent but inside there is an unexpected surprise.
- White or yellow cake mix
- White frosting
- Blue food coloring
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Chocolate Chips
- Using a box cake mix or your favorite recipe, prepare according to instructions. Place one strawberry in each cupcake liner with the point of the strawberry pointing up. Pour the batter over the top and bake according to the instructions on your recipe.
- Mix half of your frosting with blue coloring and stir lightly so that there are still some white streaks in the mix. When the cupcakes are finished baking, frost half with blue frosting and half with white frosting. Cover the white frosting with graham cracker crumbs. Stick one chocolate chip i.e. shark fin in the blue frosting.
Unlucky Swimmer Fingers
These actually taste better if you hum the Jaws theme song out loud before you consume them. Eat them quickly and ferociously.
- Mozzarella cheese sticks
- 1 package of puff pastry
- Marinara sauce
- Wrap each cheese stick in puff pastry. Brush lightly with melted butter. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and crispy.
- Warm the marinara sauce and serve with the hot cheese sticks.