If you like spaghetti and meatballs but are bored by having the same Italian dinner all the time, this pie will turn a basic Italian entree into something really special.
Spaghetti and Meatballs is one of those great dishes that everyone loves. It doesn’t matter whether you’re two or 82, something about the pasta, rich tomato sauce and meatballs just puts a smile on people’s faces. But having the same old spaghetti and meatballs can get stale after a while. This pie from Better Homes and Gardens elevates the classic Italian dish into something really special. And if you use premade marinara sauce and frozen meatballs, this dish becomes especially easy. The only thing to be aware of is there are a lot of steps in making the pie. It takes about two hours from start to table, but the work is well worth the finished product.
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 whole onion, sliced
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 pound frozen cooked meatballs, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch springform pan, set aside.
- In a large pan, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and return to hot pan. While pasta cooks, stir together two eggs and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Add egg mixture to pasta and toss to coat. Press pasta mixture into bottom of prepared springform pan; set aside.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onions, cover and cook about 15 minutes or until onions are tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Uncover, increase heat to medium and cook for another five minutes or until onions are golden brown. Remove from heat.
- In another bowl stir together the remaining egg, ricotta cheese, basil, and pepper. Spread ricotta mixture over pasta crust. Top with the cooked onions. Place springform pan on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Spoon 3/4 cup of marinara sauce over layers in pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella.
- Toss the meatballs with another 3/4 cup marinara sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella. Arrange meatball mixture over layers in pan, forming a mound. Top with another 1/2 cup of marinara sauce.
- Tent pie with foil. Bake for 45 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and let stand for 15 minutes. Using a serrated knife, cut pie into wedges and serve.
Other Spaghetti Recipes from SheKnows
- Crock Pot spaghetti
- Fig and walnut spaghetti
- Spaghetti frittata