If your energy takes a nosedive every afternoon, don’t reach for the candy jar. Instead, power up with one of these quick and easy protein-packed snacks.
If you suffer from the dreaded afternoon slump, the last thing you need is a sugary snack that will give you a quick high followed by a dramatic drop in blood sugar. Give yourself the boost you need with a high-protein snack that will keep you feeling energized and focused all the way to dinnertime.
Nuts are the perfect portable snack. Not only are they packed with protein, fiber and healthy fats, but they’re also irresistibly delicious. Try a handful of walnuts, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds or peanuts to boost your energy and mental concentration. Give some of these other nutty snacks a shot, too:
- 1 rice cake with a dollop of almond butter
- 1 stalk of celery with peanut butter
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt with crushed walnuts and a drizzle of raw honey
These wholesome snacks combine healthy carbs with protein and fiber for long-burning energy:
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese topped with fresh berries
- a handful of trail mix with nuts and dried fruit
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt with sliced mango
Power up with a smoothie.
Rev up your afternoon with a power smoothie packed with protein, fiber and nourishing ingredients such as almond milk, silken tofu, Greek yogurt, ground flaxseed and protein powder.
- Creamy Coconut Kale Green Smoothie
- Pumpkin Banana Smoothie
- Chocolate Raspberry Shake
Crack an egg.
It’s no wonder bodybuilders love eggs. They are the perfect protein source and can be cooked into almost anything. For the greatest health benefits, choose free-range eggs that have been enriched with omega-3 fatty acids.
- 2 hardboiled eggs with fresh ground black pepper
- 1 spicy deviled egg
- 1 slice Healthy Egg White and Veggie Omelet
Spill the beans.
Beans get a bad rap for their “musical” qualities, but they are a rich source of protein, carbohydrates and dietary fiber. Fiber-rich foods such as beans help your body to clean itself out, remove toxins from your digestive tract, and keep you looking and feeling young.
- 1 handful roasted soy nuts
- 1/2 black bean and cheese burrito
- 1/4 cup hummus and pita chips
Cheese lovers, rejoice: Now you have even more reasons to indulge in this creamy food of the gods.
- 1 small cheese quesadilla
- 1 mini sandwich with turkey and cheese
- 1 spicy jalapeño cheese stick and 2 whole-wheat crackers