Flip your Meatless Monday upside down and give “breakfast for dinner” a try! If nothing else, you’ll have a new set of meal options the next time you need a yummy breakfast idea.
Breakfast dishes that are hearty and full of protein can help get you through the day. So who couldn’t use a little pick-me-up at the end of a Monday, too? Try these meal options for dinner — or go ahead and make them for breakfast! Anyway you look at it, you’ll have two out of three Meatless Monday meals covered!
Breakfast foods that make great dinners
- Egg sandwiches served on crunchy bread
- Quiche and frittata made with your favorite fillings
- Tortilla rolls or “breakfast” burritos filled with eggs, salsa, potatoes and veggies
- Waffles, pancakes and French toast
- Skillet potatoes
- Breakfast pizza
- Polenta, baked or lightly fried and served with veggies or tomato sauces
- Warmed bulgur or quinoa with sliced apples and toasted pecans
A slice anytime is nice
Cold pizza from the night before sometimes works for breakfast, but if you’re looking for dinner, give this breakfast pizza a try. Confused? Don’t be. Whether you slice it for dinner or breakfast, it’s delicious!
Serves 4-6 people
- 1 (12-inch) prepared pizza crust
- 1/2 pound veggie sausage crumbles
- 1 cup frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the crumbled veggie sausage to the crust, followed by the hash browns and cheese.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the cheese begins to bubble.
- When the pizza is almost finished baking, crack the two eggs into separate cups. Pull the pizza from the oven and slide the cracked eggs onto the top of the pizza, toward the center so each slice will have some egg on it.
- Return the pizza to the oven and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Keep it on the side
The following make perfect side dishes for Meatless Monday breakfast-for-dinner meals:
- Sliced apples, oranges or bananas (or apple or pear sauce)
- Fruit salad
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Vegetable muffins (zucchini or carrot)
- Baked sweet potato cubes or hash browns
- Meatless bacon or sausage links
- Non-fat or light plain yogurt with a drizzle of honey
- Non-fat or light cottage cheese
- Toasted English muffins with your favorite spread
Make your Meatless Monday even more fun with a flip-flop mealtime twist!
Try these recipes for breakfast-for-dinner meals
- Pumpkin Belgian waffles
- Zucchini quiche
- Potato and Swiss chard frittata
- Tofu scramble breakfast sandwich with tempeh bacon
- Lemon ricotta pancakes
- English muffin bread
- Shredded potato casserole
- Creamy polenta with mushrooms