A cookout is a favorite summertime activity. With all the great food options, be cautious of the barbecue sauce you use as many can contain modified food starch. The starch can come from corn, wheat, potato, rice or tapioca — a bad thing if you’re gluten-sensitive. Your best bet? Stay on the safe side of gluten and make your own barbecue sauce with gluten-free ingredients. It’s fast, easy and delicious!
If you have gluten allergies, keep an eye out for modified food starch in the ingredients list of your favorite pre-packaged foods (like barbecue sauce). Many pre-packaged gravies, sauces and pie fillings contain “modified corn starch” (or modified food starch). The modified starch is an additive used to add texture, moisture or a thickening agent to foods, and can contain gluten.
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Why not make your own barbecue sauce this summer? You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to put together!
Gluten-free “all-purpose” barbecue sauce
Makes about 1-1/2 pints
- 1/4 cup gluten-free plain tomato paste
- 1/2 cup gluten-free tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup shallots, minced
- 1/4 cup celery powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Using a medium-sized saucepan over high heat, combine all the ingredients except for the salt and pepper.
- Whisk the ingredients together and bring to a boil. Once the mixture boils, lower the heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- Store your sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
More gluten-free recipes
Gluten-free sandwich bread
Go gluten free: On-the-go breakfast bars
Gluten-free baking flour and cookies
Gluten free: Roasted red pepper hummus
Gluten free: Mushroom and green pea risotto
Gluten free: Broccoli, egg and rice scramble