Meatless Monday: Celebrate Independence Day the meat-free way
When most people think of gatherings for the Fourth of July, their minds gravitate toward the grill -- and meat. This patriotic holiday typically goes hand-in-hand with burgers, dogs and other grill-able meats.
Don't be worried that your Meatless Monday Independence Day cookout will be filled with only side dishes and guests wondering what's on your grill. A meatless cookout is easier than you think. Try the following options for a celebration that will go off with a bang!
- Make homemade veggie burgers like easy grilled eggplant burgers. These burgers are a great stand-in for beef. They're nutritious, tasty and filling.
- Get your fill of veggies with these sweet potato burgers with chipotle mayo.
- Use the season's bounty with these homemade veggie burgers with avocado sauce.
- You can also buy pre-packaged veggie burgers from most grocery stores, as well as hotdog substitutes, too. Yves Veggie Cuisine makes several meatless hotdog and brat options. Boca makes veggie patties, "chicken" patties and even ground crumbles that would be great used as a stuffing for grilled peppers, or as one of the ingredients for tacos. Try Amy's for tasty burger alternatives with options like a quarter-pound veggie burger or a "Texas" veggie burger.
- Grill these Portobello mushroom burgers. Portobello mushrooms are large, hearty and pair nicely with a sandwich bun. Perfect for the grill, make an easy marinade for them and top them with some tasty cheese.
- Grill a trio of fish, with these tuna, swordfish and salmon skewers.
- Try "shrimp on the barbie" this summer! Try these Asian-inspired lemongrass shrimp skewers or one with more of a bang like chipotle chili rub for shrimp.
- Assemble and grill veggie kabobs. They're colorful, delicious and versatile since you can use so many different vegetables like zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes and eggplant.
Meatless appetizers, side dishes and desserts
- Pair the grilled items on your party menu with dishes like festive pasta salad, BBQ beans, or a fruit and nut salad.
- Serve vegetarian appetizers such as veggie dips like roasted red pepper hummus or grapefruit guacamole.
- Don't forget the desserts, including a stars and stripes strawberry pie and patriotic cupcakes. They are always a party favorite, along with homemade vegan ice cream!
Nothing beats a cookout for a fantastic Fourth of July, and a Meatless Monday cookout is no exception!