If you want a date night in to feel like a true date night and not just another dinner at home, you have to set the stage. Add some pizzazz to these veggies and your next date night by serving these crispy cakes as an appetizer.
Most dates at a restaurant begin with an appetizer while most dinners at home do not include this pre-meal indulgence. Appetizers are often considered a special treat that are not necessary with week night dinners. By serving an appetizer you will add extra time for conversation and transform your average dinner into a special occasion for two.
This blend of fresh summer veggies with a light creamy sauce won’t ruin your appetite for the main course, but it is hearty enough to be served as the main course during the week if you prefer.
Pair this with a crisp and fruity Pinot Grigio and, as always, a little candle light.
Summer Zucchini Cakes with Creamy Green Chile Sauce
- 1-1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1 clove of fresh pressed garlic
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive Oil
Creamy Green Chile Sauce:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon of diced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- A sprinkle of smoked paprika
- Wrap zucchini, carrots, and roasted red pepper in a damp paper towel and squeeze to eliminate as much excess liquid as possible. Add the vegetables to a large bowl with the bread crumbs, flour, garlic, eggs, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. If it is too dry, add a bit of water. For the sauce add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine. Set the sauce aside.
- Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of a sauté pan and let it warm up. Form the zucchini mixture into small patties and place in the hot pan. Cook until each side is a golden brown. It will take approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Place the cooked cakes on a paper towl to soak up some of the excess oil.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of sauce on each cake.
MORE APPETIZER RECIPES
- Peach and greens salad recipe
- Creamy avocado dip recipe
- Mozzarella, gouda and blue cheese pizzettas