School’s out for summer and your kids need healthy snacks to keep them well-fueled for their fun in the sun. If your pantry is packed with processed convenience foods, Nicole Selinsky, a children’s nutrition expert, says it’s time for Mom and kids to deliciously embrace healthy summer snacking. Here are Selinsky’s snacking tips and recipes.
Healthy summer snacking tips for kids
Selinsky is the nutrition director at Camp Pocono Trails in Reeders, Pennsylvania. Camp Pocono Trails is a 350-acre summer camp for children who want to learn how to lose weight, cook healthfully, and adopt a healthy, active lifestyle. According to Selinsky, healthy summer snacking for kids is easy with the following five tips.
Healthy summer snack recipes for kids
Recipes courtesy of Nicole Selinsky, nutrition director at Camp Pocono Trails, a summer kids camp in Reeders, Pennsylvania that focuses on teaching kids how to eat healthy and live healthy.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely diced
- Combine all of the above ingredients.
- Serve with low-fat baked tortilla (corn) chips, or fresh veggies, cut up.