Tonight's Dinner: Blue cheese burger
Cheeseburgers are a great choice for your summer cookout. But don't use those standard slices -- go a little more gourmet and add some blue cheese instead.
Summer has officially started. And with summer comes the weekend barbecue complete with burgers and hot dogs. But instead of the standard cheeseburger made with those easy American slices, why not kick it up a notch?
I've been seeing blue cheese hamburgers for years, but I've never tried them before because I always liked my cheeseburgers with those easy-to-apply slices. I'm an adventurous cook, though, so I'm always up for trying something new -- which is why I chose this weekend to give my burgers a new, gourmet look. The result, pure heaven. Who knew all I needed was a little blue cheese, some onion soup mix, and a nice, hot grill to turn my summer cookout, into a gourmet feast?
Blue Cheese Burgers
- 1-1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1 ounce blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup red tomato, chopped
- 1 cup yellow tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons blue cheese dressing
- 4 hamburger buns
- In a large bowl combine the ground beef, onion soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, egg, bread and blue cheese. Mix well and form into 4 patties.
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat. Place burgers on grill and cook, turning once, about 6 minutes per side.
- While the burgers cook, mix together the yellow tomato, red tomato, basil, and garlic in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once the burgers are done cooking, place each burger on a bun and top with 1 tablespoon of blue cheese dressing and 2 tablespoons of tomato mixture and additional favorite toppings. Serve immediately.