Getting a lot of protein in your diet has been the goal of gym buffs for ages, but protein is good for the rest of us too. We talk a lot about protein when it comes to food. That’s because it’s the main component that makes up our organs, muscles and tissues, and critical processes in the body, like digestion and metabolism, depend on it.
But as so many of us have learned the hard way, strict high-protein diets can get boring, fast. Fortunately tastier options do exist beyond plain egg whites and canned tuna. Here is the hit list of nutritiously delicious, simple snacks that are packed with good-quality protein and are under 200 calories per serving.
Snacks with 5 grams of protein or more
- 49 pistachios (pair with 2 dried apricots)
- 1 hard-boiled egg drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper
- 1 part-skim mozzarella cheese stick
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (pair with sliced apples)
- 8-ounce glass of milk (pair with any snack, or indulge with 2 small cookies)
- 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar (melt onto 10 whole-grain tortilla chips in the microwave)
- 1/4 cup of trail mix containing mostly nuts
- 2 no-bake cinnamon bun oatmeal-raisin cookie protein bites
- 21 almonds
- 1/4 cup of hummus dip (pair with carrot and celery sticks)
- 1 ounce of natural turkey jerky