Nothing beats a BLT on a warm spring night unless, of course, you add grilled steak to it.
I don’t know about you, but I love grilling outside on a warm summer night. There’s nothing better than sitting out in the back yard with a cool drink and smelling that wonderful barbeque smell — it’s the essence of summer to me.
I know BLTs have nothing to do with the grill, but they also encapsulate summer; not just because it’s a sandwich, but because it’s made with bacon (one of the best proteins around), fresh garden-ripe tomatoes and lettuce.
While it’s a delicious sandwich no matter the season, summer is the best time for it because that’s when tomatoes and lettuce are in season. And, while everyone knows a BLT alone is a perfect sandwich, Kitchen Daily made it even better by adding grilled steak. They took an amazing classic and turned it into a masterpiece waiting to be devoured.
Skirt Steak BLT
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 pounds skirt steak
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices rye bread, toasted
- 4 leaves of romaine lettuce
- 3 medium tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 8 strips of bacon, fried
- 2 cloves of garlic
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine mayonnaise, basil, chives, and lemon juice and pulse until combined; cover and refrigerate.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over high heat. Season steak with salt and pepper; drizzle with oil and grill both sides for 3 to 4 minutes, or until medium rare; remove from heat and set aside.
- To assemble, take 1 slice of bread and rub garlic clove all over 1 side of it. Slather the same side with basil mayonnaise; layer the top with lettuce, tomatoes, and 2 slices of bacon.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the steak across the grain into thick slices; lay a few pieces of the cut skirt steak on top of the open sandwich and serve.