Tonight's Dinner: Spiced chicken and couscous salad
Chicken and couscous, what could be better? Adding some spices and a few vegetables make this chicken dinner one you won't soon forget.
So many things can be done with chicken breasts: they can be fried, they can be baked, they can be seared, the options are limitless. But even with all those options, you still only have a piece of chicken; and one chicken breast does not a dinner make. However, if you follow Real Simple magazine's suggestion and throw some tomatoes and peas into couscous, you have a delicious dinner that will have your family begging for more.
Spiced Chicken and Couscous Salad
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup couscous
- 3/4 pound cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 pound sugar snap peas, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with paprika, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook until browned and cooked through, 6 minutes per side. Let the chicken rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- While the chicken cooks, place the couscous in a large bowl; add 1 cup hot water, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork. Add the tomatoes, snap peas, lemon zest, lemon juice, cheese, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to combine. Serve with the chicken.