Tonight's Dinner: Ginger pork and cucumber pitas
Marinated cucumbers, a few pitas, and some Asian spices give these pork sandwiches a delicious sweet and sour tang and make them the perfect choice for a fun, delicious dinner.
Pita bread is a great alternative to sandwich bread. It's lower in calories and allows your kids to fill those cute little pockets with any variety of different meats and condiments. Making these sandwiches is so much fun, they're the perfect dinner choice any night of the week.
Ginger Pork and Cucumber Pitas
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 pitas, halved
- In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, and salt. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the cucumbers and let sit, tossing occasionally, for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the pork, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the hoisin sauce and ginger.
- Divide evenly, fill the pita halves with the pork and the cucumber salad.