Mother’s Day picnic recipes
Enjoy the spring weather by taking Mom on a Mother’s Day picnic. Whether you pitch a blanket in your backyard, at the beach, or up on a mountain top, these Mother’s Day picnic recipes are delicious and easy to tote.
Spring Salad with Marinated Feta
This is a simple salad that will zing your taste buds. If you are traveling or hiking for over 30 minutes to your picnic spot, package greens separate from the marinated ingredients to keep the greens from wilting.
- 6 cups spring mix
- 1/4 cup finely sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 2/3 cup marinated feta chunks
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 3/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- Pinch of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in an airtight container, tossing to coat. Cover and keep cool until ready to serve.
Tuna Salad on Seeded Bread
Hearty slices of seeded bread give this picnic sandwich scrumptious texture and taste.
- 2 (5-ounce) cans white albacore packed in olive oil, drained
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 handful of grapes, halved
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise made with olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 slices whole grain seeded bread, toasted if desired
- 4 butter lettuce leaves or a handful of fresh arugula
- In a large bowl, combine tuna, celery, grapes, mustard, dill, walnuts, and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread tuna salad on 4 slices of bread and top with lettuce or arugula. Cover with remaining slices of bread.
- Wrap individually in plastic wrap or a reusable sandwich bag then pack in a sturdy airtight container. Keep cool with cold packs until ready to serve.
Cocoa Nib Blondies
What Mother's Day would be complete without a little chocolate? These blondies are less rich than dense chocolate brownies, but they sing with real chocolate flavor from the cocoa nibs.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa nibs
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter and sugar.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in the cocoa nibs and chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the dish for 10 minutes.
- Invert onto a cutting board and slice into 9 bars. Let cool completely then wrap individually in plastic wrap to pack.