Pork goes well with apples and apples go well with sweet potatoes. So, what if you throw all three of those things into the slow cooker with some delicious spices and a little apple juice? You get a deliciously sweet dinner.
Yesterday I gave you a delicious recipe for pork kabobs. Well, in order to make those I had to buy a large boneless pork loin. While the recipe only called for a 2 pound loin, it’s very hard to find a boneless loin that’s just 2 pounds, and a 4 pounder was the smallest one I could find.
But only using 1 1/2 pounds for the kabobs meant I had another 2 1/2 pounds left over. So I thought, why not cover it in a sweet and spicy rub and throw it into the slow cooker for a few hours with some fruit and vegetables? Instant dinner. Okay, so maybe it’s not instant, but any time dinner’s ready without me having to stand over a hot stove, I call that instant. You will too.
Pork Loin with Sweet Potatoes and Apples
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 pounds boneless pork tenderloin
- 2 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup spiced apple cider
- In a small bowl, stir together the first 7 ingredients and set aside.
- Arrange the sweet potato slices in the bottom of the slow cooker; add the chopped onion and sprinkle everything with half of the brown sugar mixture.
- Coat the pork loin in the rest of the spice mixture and place it in the slow cooker on top of the vegetables; top the loin with the chopped apples and cranberries; add the cider and cover the cooker.
- Cook the pork and vegetables on high for 1 hour then switch the slow cooker to low and cook for an additional 5 to 6 hours. After 5 hours, quickly lift the lid and check to see if the sweet potatoes are tender; if so, it’s ready. If it needs a little longer, switch the cooker to high and cook for another hour.
- To serve, remove loin to a cutting board and carve crosswise into thick slices; place the slices on a serving platter; spoon the sweet potatoes, apples, and onions over the pork loin and serve.
Other Slow Cooker Recipes from She Knows
Slow Cooker Cheddar Cheese Fondue
Slow Cooker Indian Chicken Stew
Slow Cooker Swiss Steak