Tonight's Dinner: Prosciutto Stuffed Chicken Bake
Chicken and rice are a delicious choice for dinner, but they can be boring. Adding some cheese, vegetables, and a creamy sauce turns these classic staples into something special.
Chicken is a favorite in my house: it doesn't matter if it's the whole bird roasted, a few breasts breaded and baked, or my favorite, a nice piece of fried chicken. Whatever form the fowl takes, it's always a hit and, with so many pieces of the bird to choose from, you could have chicken every night of the week and never have it the same way twice.
I'm always on the lookout for a new recipe—something I haven't tried, that doesn't appear too difficult to create. This chicken casserole is one such dish. The hardest thing about it is stuffing the chicken and baking the rice ahead of time and, trust me, neither of those things are really that hard. Once the chicken is stuffed and the rice is cooked, this dish becomes as simple as combining everything in a large casserole dish, covering it with the sauce, and cooking it. What comes out of the oven is an awesome dish no one will expect.
Prosciutto Stuffed Chicken Bake
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- 3 cups long grain white and wild rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup asparagus, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. With a small, sharp knife, make a 2-inch wide horizontal slit in the side of each chicken breast to create a deep pocket; stuff each pocket with 1 piece of prosciutto.
- Spread rice in an ungreased 3-quart baking dish; top with chicken and bake covered for 25 minutes.
- For sauce: in a medium pan, melt butter over medium heat; add green onions and cook for 3 minutes; whisk in flour and pepper until well mixed; add milk, whisking to combine.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly; stir in asparagus, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and sherry.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs.
- Pour sauce over chicken, sprinkle with crumb mixture, and bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink inside. Serve immediately.