There’s nothing better on a cool evening than sweet Italian sausage and tomato sauce. Put them over spaghetti and you’ve got an interesting spin on the age old spaghetti and meatballs, but bake them in a casserole dish with some premade polenta, and you’ve got a whole new spin on Italian food.
Italian Polenta Casserole
- 1, 18-ounce package of premade polenta
- 12-ounces sweet Italian sausage
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups premade pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice the polenta into thin slices and lay half of them in the bottom of a 3 quart, oval baking dish; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage, mushrooms, onion, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender, 5 to 8 minutes; stir in pasta sauce and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon meat mixture evenly over polenta in baking dish; place the rest of the polenta slices on top and sprinkle with Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, or until heated through; serve immediately.
Other Polenta Recipes from She Knows
Cheesy Polenta with Sausage and Mushrooms
Gratin Polenta with Spinach and Mushrooms
Turkey Olive Polenta