Spring is a great time to host a get-together, and we have five easy and delicious spring appetizers that your guests will love.
Garlic lemon shrimp
These easy shrimp skewers are a fresh and delicious spring party pleaser.
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds peeled, deveined shrimp (12 to 15 per pound), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Lemon wedges
- Mix salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add shrimp and toss gently to coat. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Rinse shrimp well and drain; rinse and dry bowl as well. Return shrimp to bowl.
- Add olive oil, parsley, lemon peel, garlic and pepper; toss to coat.
- Thread shrimp on metal or soaked wooden skewers.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
Parmesan crackers with proscuitto & asparagus
Salty proscuitto and fresh asparagus turn these cheesy homemade crackers into a great spring appetizer.
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 ounces grated Parmesan
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cream the butter in a large bowl.
- Add the Parmesan, flour, salt, thyme and pepper; mix.
- Roll dough into a 13-inch-long log; wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the dough into 1/2-inch thick “crackers” and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Top each cracker with a thin slice of proscuitto ham and a blanched asparagus tip.
Ricotta & orange marmalade crostini
This elegant crostini is perfect for a spring party, and no one will ever guess how easy this appetizer is.
- 12 slices (1/2-inch-thick) rustic artisan bread
- 15 ounces whole ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup orange marmalade
- Orange zest to taste
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Grill the bread for about 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Remove from grill pan and top with 2 tablespoons ricotta.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon marmalade over the ricotta, zest a bit of orange peel on top, and serve.
Greek-style chicken meatballs with kicked-up cucumber yogurt dip
This easy yet unique appetizer will have your guests yelling Opa!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped, divided
- 2 boxes frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoons grill seasoning
- 1-1/2 cups Greek-style plain yogurt
- 1/3 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons, cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons, coriander
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine onion and 3 cloves garlic in a bowl.
- Squeeze the water out of the spinach until completely dry.
- Add spinach to the garlic and onion, separating it as you do so.
- Add feta, chicken and grill seasoning to the bowl; add a large drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Mix the meat with veggies and feta, and form 18 same-sized meatballs.
- Transfer meatballs to a nonstick cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes until they are golden brown and juices run clear.
- For the dipping sauce, combine yogurt, garlic, cucumber, dill, lemon juice, cumin, coriander and a little salt in food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve alongside meatballs with toothpicks.
Artichoke hearts topped with spinach & brie
This delicious appetizer is loaded with nutrient-rich veggies, but it’s so good, you won’t even notice!
- 1 9-ounce box frozen artichoke hearts
- 2/3 cup cooked chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 18 thin slices brie
- Turn on broiler.
- Meanwhile, prepare artichoke hearts according to package directions.
- In a bowl, combine spinach, pepper and salt in a small bowl.
- Spoon equal amounts of the spinach mixture on each artichoke heart and top with a slice of brie.
- Broil until cheese melts, 1 to 2 minutes.